Spent a good portion of yesterday out in the gardens–pulling the rest of the posts and cattle panels that formed the trellising in the east garden. I’ll be putting some of it back up in the lower part of that garden before too long to support indeterminate tomatoes and pole beans.
The problem with keeping the trellising in one place for more than a couple of years, besides the obvious crop rotation issue, is that we have a lot of mulberry trees around the garden. Birds eat the berries, perch on the trellises, and do what birds do. In a short period of time, if you don’t cultivate closely, mulberry trees start growing right along the trellis line.
So, I cleaned up and detached the panels, with H helping me carry them up to their temporary storage spot, and then pulled all the posts. It’s no wonder, with work like this, that my shoulders and chest circumference seem to grow a size during garden season (no gutter jokes, please).
Once the panels and posts were out, I raked all the old vines and detritus off the beds to allow for tilling to re-establish the beds along a better path-to-bed ratio that also puts them in line with the beds in the central garden, where I’ve seeded chickling vetch green manure as a cover crop.
A couple of USD students came out in the afternoon to do a local foods interview, and we took about an hour talking to them. It was too sunny to shoot video–nice because I gave up the idea of wearing makeup out in the garden, and didn’t want to look like Nixon in the Kennedy debates.
Once they left, I transplanted two flats of Talon yellow onions into one of the last three unplanted beds in the west garden. Watered everything, and called it a day.
This morning I’m working on locating a tax subtraction worksheet for our farmers market vendors selling to EBT clients. Because most market vendors sell goods with the sales tax already included (to avoid having to bring a large amount of change), they’re going to need an easy way to figure out the price without tax to sell to EBT clients.
Some states have already put together these worksheets, and Sandy at SD Dept. of Social Services is looking at other state’s websites to see what she can come up with. I called SD Dept. of Revenue and learned the simple formula to subtract the tax with a 6% rate, but our state does not have a handy table.
It’s kind of exciting to be the first market in SD going through the whole of this process and identifying key pieces of information and infrastructure needed to make it easier for us and those who come after us.
Today I’m probably stuck here in town–Earth Day and I can’t be at the farm!–but I’m waiting for Federal Express to deliver our shiny new wireless POS device. That’s the major purchase in this process, and they won’t just leave it on the doorstep.
Tonight is the Dakota Rural Action Evening of Green local foods meal and launch of the 2nd edition of the SD Local Foods Directory. Hopefully, the POS device will come before we need to take off to spend the evening in Brookings with our fellows producers and friends.