Two Days in One

My apologies for not posting on what I was bringing to market yesterday.  M has been here all week, so I’ve been doing the single-mom-with-job-plus-business juggle.

He’s a trooper most of the time, but in the little bits of time between grading, responding to e-mails, planting, harvesting, and weeding, it seems a better use of my time to get in some play time rather than posting blogs!

Market has gone really well these last two weeks–we had six vendors the opening week and nine yesterday.  One of our vendors told me our market is more profitable for him than Sioux City’s!  That was a boost.

For myself, I’m bringing just about as much produce as I can and selling out fairly quickly except for the spinach.  It’s always interesting to me how the market changes–two years ago I couldn’t grow enough spinach to meet demand and the hearter, spicier greens would languish in the coolers.

Now, the raab and arugula disappear as fast as I can get them out on the table, and I can hardly sell twenty bags of spinach.  Tastes change, of course, and there are still plenty of customers looking for something mild–but my main customer base is generally looking for something a bit more “exotic.”

After all that action, today I’m exhausted–up at 6 a.m. yesterday and out to harvest for four-and-a-half hours, then back into town to pick up supplies for our temp hand wash station, make lunch, visit the library’s summer reading carnival, then the CSA delivery, packing the truck, and off to market for another four-and-a-half hours.  It felt like two work days in one.

Today is bill-paying, e-mail responding, and pole bean/tomato planting/transplanting along the final trellis H and I constructed on Wednesday.  I’m almost finished with the main summer crop planting, though I still need to get things like okra and the rest of the eggplant/hot peppers in.  I’ve also got head lettuces to tuck in behind a trellis.

Then later this afternoon, we decided the best use of our tired-out selves is to get out of town and off the farm for the night and take a little canoe and camping trip.  I’m so ready to leave it all behind–though as any farmer knows, that never really happens.

But, I’ll get things up to date enough (probably a little watering, too) so at least for a night I can kick back and roast a local lamb brat from Dakota Harvest Farm over a wood fire while looking out over the majestic Missouri.  I wonder if we’ll get to hear our friend the whippoorwill?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s