Goodbye, Goddess

I really thought I’d stay clean today, but that just doesn’t seem possible with me–I had to run out to the farm for a short time pre-forecasted rain.

A little bit of watering was in order–just the most recent transplants.  It’s dry, but there is a very good chance of thunderstorms tonight, so I wasn’t going to wear myself out when I’ve been doing a watering rotation for the last few days anyhow.

I also made the executive decision to pull the salad mix (no more Goddess!).  There were patches starting to develop the funky lettuce rot (my own super-technical term), and I figured it was time to get in some main crop carrots.  That row, having been well-manured this spring and having some of the nitrogen sapped off by the three lettuce cuttings, is now in good shape for tasty roots.

I went along the row broadforking to get the soil loosened to a good depth, the H came through with the tiller and turned under what was left of the lettuce.  Then I came back through with the backside of the rake to smooth, then the wedge-shaped hoe to draw two furrows in the loose soil.

At that point, I stopped.  There’s still a lot of green matter in that soil (all the chopped-off lettuce plants), so I want to give them a little time to break down and also let the robins go through and clean out any slugs and grubs before I actually put the seeds in the ground.

It won’t really matter if it rains tonight because the bed’s all prepped and ready for planting in the next few days.  I wished I hadn’t completely removed the row cover, though–but I guess tilling would’ve been tricky with it still attached on one side.

I did leave the staples in the cover, so it’ll be fairly simply to bring it back out and lay it back down once the carrot seeds are in their furrows. I don’t have too much of a problem with pests on carrots, but the row cover really helps keep the soil moist and soft for better, faster germination.

I also tossed in about half a flat of little head lettuce transplants today–four varieties.  That means it’s time to start more in the next week.  I also replaced a couple of failed tomato plants (mole damage) with the dwindling reserves I have left in the flat at the farm.

I’m down to one Ananas Noir and two Red Pear plants from all the tomatoes I designated farm plants–after that, it’s transplanting volunteers if any others succumb to the slings and arrows of outrageous tomato fortune.

This weekend is the final spinach harvest, too–my fellow farmer, Kelly, and I are planning an all-you-can-make spanikopita fest in my kitchen with all that’s left (and starting to bolt) in the garden.  Then I can finally get in the main crop beets, okra, and who knows what else for the mid-to-late summer and into fall harvest.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s