I don’t have a ton of tomatoes yet, but they are coming in quantity now. Some of the earliest fruits in my garden this year are the Yellow Perfections, Zapotec Pleateds, Stupice, and the purple/brown varieties Nyagous and Purple Calabash.
With a good amount sitting ripe in my kitchen and overflow in the living room, I decided to make a small batch of salsa and can in wide-mouth half-pints. I like the size and shape of that particular jar the best for salsa, as it’s perfectly scoop-able and generally is gone in one sitting–so nothing to get moldy with bits of chip sitting in it.
So out came my trusty tomato strainer, and in went the tomatoes:
But it tastes great–and that’s what counts in this batch for our own home use. With the garlic, onions, and peppers in it, it won’t look quite so ugly as it does in the pot.
I’ve got a few other projects going on today, as usual–the tomato seeds and peels along with some melon rind and coffee grounds are going in a new tray for the basement worm bin. Eventually when I get the table cleared off, I’ll spread out newspaper, take out the bottom worm tray, and liberate the castings from the wigglers still on that level–then put those worms in the new food-stocked level.
I’m hoping that by putting most of the tomato-processing compost in the worm bin this year, I’ll avoid the insane tomato volunteer issue I get every time I use the home compost anywhere. That’s what I get for having a cold pile.
Then there’s a little shelving and drawer rearrangement in the kitchen–something I planned at midnight last night–about four hours too late to have the energy left to do it. I want to get the small appliances out of the cupboard and onto the shelves H built in my pantry. Then there won’t be so much of a cramming issue on the lower cupboard shelves–I hope.
The produce I harvested this morning–more tomatoes, peppers, squash–is mostly put away in its bins and boxes for holding or ripening–all except what’s going in the salsa project today.
Overflow from the previous three canning projects also need to get down into the basement–they’re currently in boxes on the kitchen table, which has been a little cramped for actual eating this past week or two.
That, in turn, means it’s time to rearrange the stacks of canning jars in the basement–one section for big jars, one for small jars, and a third section for the FULL ones.
I love the busy end of summer….